Τρίτη 8 Αυγούστου 2017

OVERKILL – The Grinding Wheel Review




OVERKILL – The Grinding Wheel
Nuclear Blast Records
To be honest, I’ve never really have been a huge fan of this band due to the vocals and lyrical content, though with this new one (the only other album I have of theirs is “Years of Decay”) has definitely got a lot of substance to it. I was pleased that everything that makes a good album it all has which is the music, lyrical content, production quality, and guitar leads. It’s no wonder that “The Grinding Wheel” has had positive scores/feedback.

Not only does it bear well musically, the vocals aren’t really annoying to me. It’s been a problem for me in that respect with this band, but this album they sound good and I like the rhythm guitar/lead guitar. They’ve never been much of a band that’s been great at writing lyrics, but their music has been solid on some others that I’ve heard. However, “The Grinding Wheel” definitely kicks some butt in many ways. Some songs that stand out are “Goddamn Trouble” and “Let’s All Go to Hades”. The whole hour of music is good.

The music reflects many different things – heavy guitar, but not as thick as a death metal one would sound like, different types of chord progressions along with tremolo picking and leads that are pretty technical. The guitar goes along well with the vocals and the drums are solid. A lot of double bass kicks (but not dominant) and Bobby’s voice fits very well to their axe.

They’ve just lagged here in what lyrical concepts are about (as I’ve mentioned). However, they have to put out something that stands out with aggression, so they did. But I can’t myself relate to any of their lyrics on here. I just enjoy the vocals and music. That’s what’s most important on a release anyway, but would hit home if their lyrics were as good as their music is on here.

They’re true to their thrash metal roots seemingly ageless as they are veterans now, but they’re still putting out endless quality music. You can hear the whole album on YouTube, but to be a true support to the band, buy the physical CD. It’s available on Amazon and record stores as well as at Best Buy. You won’t regret it, believe me, as a 27 year metal music lover does.


Ryan  “Death8699”  Fanucchi

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: