Παρασκευή 31 Μαρτίου 2017

DESTRUCTION - Under Attack Review




DESTRUCTION - Under Attack
Nuclear Blast Records
I just thought that this CD was mediocre and it seems to me that DESTRUCTION hasn't come out with a high-quality release since "Release from Agony", that's my contention though. They have stayed to their thrash roots ever since they came in to the metal scene though which dates back to 1984 I believe. The early stuff like "Infernal Overkill", "Mad Butcher/Eternal Devastation" and what I stated "Release from Agony" were their best. It just seems like they're bankrupt of ideas even though it's still thrash metal. Their songs on here are simply humdrum. There are no guitar lines that I really like nothing on here hits home with me. Some is just that Mike's leads are annoying so they have to bring in guests.

DESTRUCTION used to come out with solid records that are catchy and Mike is just using the same guitar gallops as usual he's not doing anything different. I'm still a fan don't get me wrong, but they're simply ousted of ideas. "All Hell Breaks Loose" was decent so was "The Antichrist" but maybe they just don't have it anymore like they used to. During the 80's era was their strongest. Everything seemed fresh and new always looking forward to each proceeding release. Then Harry quit though he still does guest sessions shredding on leads. From what I understood was that he used to practice the guitar 15 hours a day! I mean it really showed especially his lead piece on "Live without Sense", just his contribution to that recording.

You definitely know who's a guest lead guitarist because of the lack of sloppiness. Schmier is still a kick ass vocalist on here though. He also was featured on the latest PANZER release which was solid.  But really, listening to this album I think it's given a little too much praise "Spiritual Genocide" and "Day of Reckoning" I felt were very similar. Again, nothing new. I really wish I had positive things to say about this album but that would just be lip service to the reader. I always used to look forward to new DESTRUCTION releases even when Schmier had left the band "Cracked Brain" was still again a good album despite his absence. I thought that when they returned to the metal scene in 2001 they came back with a vengeance.

Even though there are different tracks to each album a band releases, it's just that DESTRUCTION seemed to run on and on sort of like a run-on sentence in the English language. There's nothing that's really new even though it's new material, it just sounds the same. And boring like I had mentioned, the rhythms are stale and as Mike said in his profile on DESTRUCTION's main page that "I smoke too much dope" which is apparent. The music is mediocre there's nothing on here that is admirable. It's just the same thing repeatedly. They were okay a while back as I said with "All Hell Breaks Loose" and "The Antichrist" but now it's like "oh, another DESTRUCTION release that's the same as their last release."

I'm really sad to inform the fans to stick with the old stuff, not because even though I'm the age I am, the band was just better in the 80's. Don't believe me, just YouTube the track “Under Attack” the title one and see what you think.  I'm sure you'll like be like "this is stale." Maybe I'm wrong though because the critics are rating it as about a "B" average. There just are no melodies here that really hit home with me. The production, vocals and drums are good but that short-term memory loss Mike is experiencing really shows. He should not even attempt any leads. It's pure slop. If you listen to the old songs they're enough to get you hooked on their sound, just not with their newer releases. Just saying.


Ryan  “Death8699”  Fanucchi

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: